Saturday, June 29, 2013

An improv cushion!

Hope everyone is having a fantastic week-end!
Monday is Canada Day, so we are having a long week-end, and it couldn't be more perfect.
The sun is shining, it's nice and hot, the hammock is up, the beer is cold!!
I'm spending a bit of time in my sewing room finishing up a cushion.
About a week ago I received a lovely fat8 bundle of fabric from Fabric Spot.
They are an on line Canadian shop!
This came my way as part of a scrap challenge for Canadians hosted by lovely Rachel @ Stitched In Color!
I was one of four lucky participants to receive this Summer Lovin' bundle.
 Fabric Spot Summer Lovin'

I was pretty excited to be chosen, and to make something using all the fabrics in the bundle, plus we could add one other fabric if we wanted.
My initial idea was to make a kaleidoscope cushion, but then I decided it was high time I tried some improv!
Well, sort of......
I used a great tutorial by  13 Spools to make improv herringbone strips for my cushion.
I added some Kona coal, and away I went!
Loved doing this, and it was really easy!
 This is an 18" cushion.
I used a layer of batting for the front, and did some straight line quilting within each "block"
Kona coal, and a pieced strip for the hidden zipper.
Love, love my new cushion!
Thanks so much Rachel and Fabric Spot!
now.....back to that hammock.......!

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Chowing down with Zakka 2.0

Week 2 of Zakka Along 2.0 brings us back into the kitchen with applique towels for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.
I must admit, I am no fan of applique, and anyone who has ever received an applique from me, knows I speak the truth!!!
So, the idea of doing 3 towels with appliqued words, just didn't appeal to me.
So......instead.........I picked my favourite meal and just did the one towel.......
don't judge!!!!! LOL!
Yes, you are reading it right!
You will never see a close up of the applique!
It would have you rolling on the floor laughing!
I would also like to say that the snacks are just for staging purposes........
but, that would be a big fat lie..

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

WIP Wednesday 12-06-2013

I'm not sure when I did a WIP last, but it seems about time!
Sewing hasn't been a big priority, but I've gotten busy to finish some bee blocks that are due this month.
The June block for our Happiness circle @ dgs was chosen by Marika.
We used the tutorial from Greenleaf Goods
with sherbet colours. It's a combination of HST's and log cabin.
 I just might re-do the layout for the one on the right-not sure if I like it or not!
Our June block for Simply Solids : a modern {bee} was a real challenge for me.
The block is called Katherine Wheel and the tutorial came from Lawson and Lotti
and is was chosen by Anne Marie.
Fun to do, and a bit scary!
Anne Marie provided the background fabric and the red fabric.
My biggest project is the Marcelle Medallion.
I have worked on it, to the exclusion of almost everything else!
But, the top is finished, the back is pieced (hate that part), and it is basted and ready for some quilting!

I have absolutely no idea how I will quilt this, but I think I need to do some investigating on quilting patterns before I start.
In fact, all my goals for A Lovely Year of Finishes and  FAL , have been epic failures.
I've also fallen miserable behind in the Lucky Stars BOM.
I did do the first project from Zakka Along 2.0 using the book
Patchwork, Please!
I made 2 hotpads which turned out really well.

Linking up this week with Lee @ Freshly Pieced

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

And Monika @ The Needle and Thread Network.

Have a great sewing week!

Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Coasting with Zakka along 2.0

Monday was the long awaited for start to  Zakka Along 2.0 Patchwork, Please!
This SAL is being hosted by Debbie and Lindsey, and we are using the book written by Ayumi (aka Pink Penguin).
Each week will feature a project.
The first project is the bell pepper coasters, and for some hints and inspiration we were directed to Penny@ sewtakeahike
She had a brilliant idea to enlarge the pattern and make hot pads rather than coasters!
Well, I loved this idea and decided that I would do the same thing.
I ran into a  glitch when it came to enlarge the pattern.
There is no way I had the skills to enlarge and fit the pattern by 180% and have it fit!
Thankfully, I have a brother......!
We fiddled and fussed and finally came up with a decent sized pattern, but probably not the size Penny used.
We He divided the pattern up and then I just taped it back together for a perfect fit.
The sewing was really quite easy.
I used 2 layers of batting and 1 layer of insulbrite for the actual pepper, and then 1 layer of batting and 1 layer of insulbrite for the centre section.
It sewed up without any difficulty at all using my walking foot.

I just made two of them, and may do another in the future.
They measure 8.5" across the widest part of the bell, and the centre piece measure about 7.5"
This was a great first project, and I'm looking forward to doing more from this wonderful book!