Saturday, July 20, 2013

Not Exactly Productive........

Well, here we are in the second half of July and my sewing time has been pretty sparse!
I thought I'd be getting so much done this summer, but just haven't felt like working on any lengthy
Just lazy I guess!
I like doing bee blocks because they don't take much time!
For example.....
The July blocks for our Happiness Circle @ do. Good Stitches.
Laura did a great tutorial for Waving Pennants that was so much fun to do.

 I didn't even mind the applique, which frankly, I suck at!
The background fabric is actually white.....stupid auto white balance! Not sure why the camera was on auto!
I also finally did Cindy's block for Star of Africa.....months behind!
A great Maple Leaf paper pieced pattern I found @ Christina Creating.

I also really loved doing the block for
I've done the spiderweb block a couple times and it never gets old for me!

I really thought I'd have my Marcelle Medallion finished by now!
I zoomed though the piecing of it, only to be brought up short by the quilting!
I'm busy picking out stitches.........rats!
 I thought it would be such a great idea to do feathers in the small flying geese units........
that would be a big NO!!!!!
It would take me forever!
So, I'm picking out the 4 that I did and I'll have to think of something else.
I got most of the centre done before being sidelined with the feathers...
I really should have had a better plan before I started!
I tend to just put the quilt under the needle and THEN think about what I want to quilt!
Maybe that's why this sat for so long with nothing being done!
Hopefully, once the feathers have been plucked :-), I can get back into action!

Hope you are all having a great summer of sewing!

Monday, July 15, 2013

My month for Simply Solids!

Where does the time go? It seems like just yesterday I picked August as my month for Simply Solids: a modern {bee}, thinking it would be so far away!

Simply Solids: a modern {bee}
I changed my mind several times before settling on my chosen block......
We have done so many great blocks in this bee, and it's great fun to stash bust solids.
So , I have decided to do a modification of  the Rolling Stone block.
It's not difficult, and while there are several tutorials out there, I am going to put the instructions in this post.
I will be sending out 2 strips of Kona Putty to be used in specific parts of the block, and the remainder will be STASBUST......woo hooo!
Here is my tutorial....such as it is :-)
 First up is fabric requirments:
I will be sending out 2 strips of Kona putty. One will be 4.5" and the second will be 2.5"
Then you can pick 5 other colours of your choice from your stash!
Cut out your fabrics as described in the photo.
Having said that :-), I would normally have sewn the 2.5" strips (grey & putty) together and then subcut them to 4.5"
But for some reason, I cut whatever works for you!
It only takes a few minutes to mark the diagonal lines on all the 2.5" squares, and I find it easier to just do them all at the same time.
Lets make the corner blocks!
Place 2.5" squares on opposing corners with the marked lines as shown in the photo... this is your sew line. I found the block to be more accurate when I sewed on the outside edge of the line, especially if your marking tool leaves a thick line.
This is a good time to do some chain piecing!

trim your seam allowance and press.
I'm a press to the side kinda gal, but do whatever work for you!
Rinse and repeat...until you have 4 identical corner blocks.
Wasn't that fun! Now add the remaining 2.5" blocks to the other 2 corners.
Yay! the corner blocks are done!
Repeat the process for for the centre block! At least there is only one of those!

We are done with all those 2.5" squares!
Join the 2.5" Kona putty strip with a 2.5" strip of colour #3
subcut 4 pieces to 4.5" 
unless, like me, you cut them to 4.5"before hand!
 However you got there, you should have 4 units measuring 4.5"x4.5"
Lets put this baby together!
Lay out your blocks with the Kona putty to the outside edge please and thank you!
Join in whatever manner works for you....
I found that using a scant quarter inch when joining the rows gave me a 12.5 unfinished block....or close enough :-)
and here it is all finished and looking pretty!
I hope this tutorial makes sense!
If you have any questions, please ask, and if you have any hints, please share!
Thanks ladies, and have fun!
I can hardly wait for the blocks to start rolling in......:-)

Monday, July 08, 2013

Patchwork, Please! - placemat

I seem to be falling behind in the Zakka Along 2.0 projects!
One a week is a bit much for me, but I did manage to get the placemat done, and only a day late!

 I used Essex linen in Steel, and fussy cut some pieces of lovely Melody Miller for the patchwork.
The back/binding is a Riley Blake fabric from My Mind's Eye.
I used some lace instead of ric rac for the patchwork edging.
For the first time, I tried Elmer's School glue and WOW, it is fantastic!!
Fun and pretty easy project to do.
Definitely something I would do again.
Time to catch up on the tea cozy from 2 weeks ago!!